Monday, September 25, 2006

different ways of knowing

So what do you know? And what matters about what you do know in school?

I'm feeling a little culture shocked here, to be honest, in respect to what "matters" and what really doesn't. When I was redoing my vita I was suddenly struck by the idea that in a program where lit and creative writing are somewhat "important," the things I've done in relation to them somehow are important too.

I can't explain how strange it is when you go from the environment where "that theater crap you do" goes from being extra curricular to being a line on your vita. Sure, I've written plays and had them produced. But is that something important academically? I suppose it could be, if a position were ever open in something random like comp and play writing (and I've seen weirder appointments available since some universities seem to be combining positions to cut costs, and well, this little academic would gladly write plays for tenure if she had to!)

It's even stranger for "that reading you do" to somehow be related to this "canon" thing that I've not heard squat about since high school. I feel like I've missed out on something by reading for pleasure--yep, even literature--and not constantly taking notes on things. The only lit course I've had in years was a class on Chaucer, and I had already been through the Canterbury Tales twice at that point so it was easy, easy, easy. I read Troilus and Cressida for my final essay for something to do, some way to set myself apart in that course. But that's probably the only academic *fiction* reading I've done in years.

In reality, I know that these are all "different ways of knowing" the same thing. But I wonder if there's much common ground for somebody who reads for fun or writes creatively and furtively on the side and under cover (after having been told these aren't academic pursuits) to actually have a conversation? Can a canon nazi appreciate other ways or knowing? Can a free spirit ever be taught the importance of canon?

So yeah, crap. Feeling slightly out of place, longing for the days when coursework is over and I can emmerse myself in Feenberg and Haraway again. Wondering, somewhat, just how I'm going to accomplish that. And so on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fraulein:

I hope I'm not a so-called "canon nazi." I don't really think that only canonical texts are worthwhile--in fact, one of my pet goals is to start getting some graphic novels into the canon. [Speigelman's _Maus I/II_ has a pretty good start, but there's so much more. . .] My interest in the canon is primarily in its flexibility, and trying to see if the "new canon" reflects cultural trends (or vice-versa), and whether the canon is itself still a model.

My commanding canon question: Which came first, the canon or the culture?