Tuesday, January 09, 2007

so now my grammar class has a notemesh....

I'm teaching a hybrid class this term on grammar (specifically a style guide common to a lot of offices). It meets half online, half in person, and it's really just a lot of rules.

All last term I kept on thinking that a wiki would be a nice addition to the course, but I know that using one school's resources at another is not only unethical but is probably a nice way to find one's funding revoked (or be asked to quit the second teaching gig, within guidelines set by the department or no). All these rules could be converted to an online style guide as a wiki though... and I think it would make a good project to work on during our in class weeks (where I can directly support it) to tie to offline weeks....

So I asked my system goddess Sherri, and she pointed me to Notemesh, which is a free online wiki type system for anybody with a .edu e-mail address.

Us Wayne students are lucky enough to have wiki access on our server, but if you happen to reading this out there in the big non-wiki'd world, Notemesh isn't a bad substitute. It's not as powerful, but it is a little easier for brand spanking new internet users to get the hang of (and a lot of my students in that class are pretty new to creating files).

So I'm busy getting my class set up even though I don't need it till a week from Saturday. This technology is really a good match for my course material, so I'm glad I asked about what was recommended.

No comments: